In February 2015, India saw the announcement of 608 new projects worth Rs.56,312 crore. Of these, 435 projects valued at Rs.40,783 crore were greenfield projects, 140 were plant modernisation projects, and 33 were capacity expansion projects. Further, of the 608 projects, the promoters of 272 projects have not firmed up the projects cost. Most of these projects were in the real estate sector.
Out of the 28 mega projects (worth Rs.500 crore or more) announced last month, nine were in the manufacturing sector.
O.P. Jindal Group announced two mega projects through its subsidiaries. One by Dolvi Coke Projects for Rs.4,000-crore expansion of coke oven capacity from 1 million tpa to 3 million tpa, at Salav village, Pen taluka, in Raigarh district of Maharashtra; and the other by JSW Steel for a Rs.800-crore steel capacity expansion project from 1 million tpa to 1.3 million tpa, at Mettur, in Salem district of Tamil Nadu.
Among the major sectors, services and utilities (infrastructure) topped the investment chart with 440 projects worth Rs.32,820 crore and accounted for 58 per cent of the total investment announced in February.
A Rs.7,000-crore eight-lane elevated corridor spanning 18 km will bridge the missing link between Khopoli and Khandala along with construction of India’s second longest tunnel of 7.765 km in Maharashtra, is to be developed by Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation. The corridor will be constructed from Khalapur exit to Kusgaon near Sinhgad Institute. This was the largest project announced last month.
National Highways Authority of India announced five mega projects in February. The following EPC projects are for various sections of NH-8E in Gujarat under NHDP Phase-IV.
- Rs.794-crore Bhavnagar-Talaja section (Package-I) from 7.09 km (design chainage 6.95 km) to 53.59 km (design chainage 54.99 km).
- Rs.543.33-crore Talaja-Mahuva section (Package-II) from 53.59 km (design chainage 54.99 km) to 100.10 km (design chainage 100.45 km).
- Rs.509.1-crore Mahuva-Kagavadar section (Package-III) from 100.10 km (design chainage 100.45 km) to 139.92 km (design chainage 140.47 km).
- Rs.530.37-crore Una to Kodinar section (Package-V) from 180.48 km (design chainage 181.45 km) to 221.61 km (design chainage 222.40 km).
- Rs.745.6-crore Kodinar-Veraval section (Package-VI) from 221.61 km (design chainage 222.40 km) to 263.00 km (design chainage 263.18 km).
Besides these projects, Punjab PWD is four laning Amritsar-Tarn Taran-Harike section of NH-15 (new NH-54) along with construction of Amritsar-Naushera bypass, on EPC basis, under NHDP-IV. The project investment is Rs.576.15 crore.
In cement sector, Shree Cement plans to set up a 3-million tpa cement unit at Joga village in Jaisalmer district of Rajasthan with an investment of Rs.900 crore. The project will also include a 5.2-million tpa (2×2.6) clinker unit, a 50-MW (2×25) coal-based captive power unit, and a 40-MW (2×20) waste heat recovery-based power unit.
Mangalam Cement is investing Rs.870 crore on capacity expansion from 6.1 million tpa to 9 million tpa at Morak in Kota district of Rajasthan. The project will also include expansion of clinker unit from 4.06 million tpa to 5.3 million tpa and coal-based power unit from 35 MW to 52.5 MW.
The construction industry saw the following projects, most of them in the real estate sector:
- Paarth Infrabuild is developing a Rs.4,000-crore residential township called Paarth Republic on Lucknow-Kanpur highway in Uttar Pradesh.
- Snowwhite Infrastructure, a group company of Infinity Group, plans to develop a Rs.1,000-crore residential complex, Krishna Bhumi, at Vrindavan in Mathura district of Uttar Pradesh.
- THDC Ltd intends to develop a Rs.800-crore residential complex at B.T. Road in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Raheja Universal is developing an IT park at Juinagar in Thane district of Maharashtra with investment of Rs.1,500 crore.
- Adarsh Developers plans to construct a Rs.600-crore hotel, Shangri-La, with a capacity of 370 rooms on Outer Ring Road, Bengaluru, in Karnataka.
- P-One Infrastructure is developing a Rs.500-crore commercial complex, Eon Business Park, at Kharadi village, Haveli taluka, in Pune district of Maharashtra.
- PC Jeweller plans to open 200 retail outlets across India with an investment of Rs.1,500 crore.
Twenty-three new projects in power distribution helped the electricity sector attract fresh projects worth Rs.7,589 crore. Further, Nuclear Fuel Complex’s plan to set up a Rs.4,000-crore nuclear fuel unit at Orvakal in Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh was the largest power project of the month.
Mytrah Energy is setting up a 220-MW wind-based power unit in Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh with an estimated investment of Rs.1,100 crore. The company has signed an MoU with the state government to execute the project.
CLP India plans to set up a 100-MW wind-based power unit at Chandigarh in Madhya Pradesh. Gamesa Wind Turbines bagged the order for installing 50 new G97-2.0 MW turbines with an extended hub height of 104 metres for the project.
Automobile major Fabulous and Beyond Motors India plans to set up a Rs.1,000-crore regal raptor motorcycles unit in Telangana.
In food processing sector, Mars International India Ltd is setting up a chocolate unit at an estimated cost of Rs.622 crore in Pune district of Maharashtra.
Bharat Dynamics Ltd plans to set up a Rs.1,000-crore short range defence missiles unit at Nandgaon Peth in Amravati district of Maharashtra.
Bharat Electronics Ltd intends to establish a Rs.500-crore weapons system unit at Lepakshi in Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh.
Micromax Informatics proposes to set up a Rs.500-crore mobile phones unit at Karoli near Bhiwadi town in Alwar district of Rajasthan.
Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Department, Telangana, has planned a Rs.1,214.82-crore drinking water supply schemes in Warangal, Khammam, Karimnagar, Medak and Adilabad districts of the states.
Visakhapatnam Port Trust is setting up a Rs.600-crore logistics park at Anakapally in Visakhapatnam district of Andhra Pradesh.
Among the states, Maharashtra topped the investment chart with the highest number of new projects, 97 projects worth Rs.16,244 crore, accounting for 29 per cent of the total investment.
Visit www.projectstoday.com or call 1800-2101-213 to subscribe to ProjectsToday
|Scan the QR code to visit www.projectstoday.com|