Slow progress for PM's project
By A Business Correspondent
Prime Minister's Gramodaya Yojana - Rural Drinking Water programme, introduced in 2000-01, has made slow progress till the end of the year 2001. Only Haryana and Manipur have been able to fully utilise the funds available for the purpose. States like Karnataka, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Meghalaya, Punjab, Sikkim, Tamil Nadu and Tripura utilise more than 50 per cent of the funds under the scheme. While Bihar has not spent even 1 per cent of the funds available Kerala's utilisation rate has been slightly better at 2.74 per cent.
PMGY - RDW programme aims at improving water accessibility in rural areas. Under this programme minimum 25 per cent of the total allocation for the component should be utilised by the respective states and UTs on projects and schemes for water conservation, water harvesting, water recharge and sustainability of drinking water sources etc. The remaining 75 per cent of the allocation could be used for taking up projects and schemes to tackle quality related problems and for providing safe drinking water.