Shirke Group of Companies<br>Revolutionising civil engineering
By Daksesh Parikh
"Industrialise Civil Engineering" is the mission line of the Rs 300-crore Pune-based Shrike Group of Companies. This is the solution to provide affordable high quality mass housing. This mission statement aptly mirrors the relentless efforts undertaken by B.G. Shirke, its founder chairman, and crusader in his own right. Employing over 10,000 persons, this civil, mechanical and electrical engineering consortium has made an indelible mark in the field of residential, commercial, industrial and special project construction over the last five-and-a-half decades. Civil and structural engineering is their specialised area of interest.
Located in Mundhwa, Pune, the group has nine integrated plants spread across an area of over 50 acres. In a bid to keep abreast with the technological changes it has entered into tie-ups with several international majors, including Polyorm NV, Holland, for steel doors and window frames; Potain SA, France, for the manufacture of tower cranes; and, Bierrum & Partners, UK, for tall special concrete structures such as chimneys, cooling towers and silos.
The two most widely know companies are:
· Siporex India, an ISO-9002 company, in technical collaboration with Siporex AB of Sweden produces Siporex blocks, dubbed as the wonder building material of the world.
· B.G. Shirke Construction Technology, another group company, has pioneered the system for the usage of pre-cast structural components such as dense concrete hollow core columns, dense partially pre-cast beams, staircases etc. It has a galvanising plant of seven metres length.
Besides these companies, the Shirke group manufactures equipments such as tower cranes, batching plants and transit mixers. In collaboration with Read Advanced Systems Inc., US, Shirke manufactures and installs galvanised iron corrugated silos used for storing food grains and cattle feed. It also has a crushed sand plant at Jasai in Navi Mumbai.
The group prides itself in executing projects ahead of schedule and within the costs specified. While the group has taken on quite a few projects in the Gulf countries, its area of operations have by and large been confined to places in Maharashtra. Several contracts have emanated from statutory bodies, including municipal corporations and state government and semi-government bodies like CIDCO, Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Board and so on.
Some of the prestigious projects executed by the company include:
* NRI "Sea Wood" project for CIDCO, at Nerul, in Navi Mumbai
* Mass housing project for Pimpri-Chinchwad
* Educational complex for rehabilitating children near Pune
* Sports village for the Karnataka government
* Millennium Business Park for MIDC at Turbhe