The Union Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI) has been implementing an umbrella scheme- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana (PMKSY) since 2017-18 across the country. PMKSY is a comprehensive package of component schemes, which is aimed at the creation of modern infrastructure with efficient supply chain management from farm gate to retail outlet. It provides a big boost to the growth of the food processing sector in the country, helps in providing better prices to farmers, creates huge employment opportunities, especially in rural areas, reduces wastage of agricultural produce, increases the processing level, and enhances the export of processed foods. Under the following component schemes, financial support in the form of grants-in-aid is provided for setting up of food processing projects across the country:
- Mega Food Parks scheme (discontinued w.e.f. 01.04.2021)
- Integrated Cold Chain and Value Addition infrastructure
- Creation of Infrastructure for Agro Processing Cluster
- Creation/ Expansion of Food Processing and Preservation Capacities
- Creation of Backward and Forward Linkages (discontinued w.e.f. 01.04.2021)
- Operation Greens: Long Term Interventions
- Food Safety and Quality Assurance Infrastructure – Setting up / upgradation of quality control/ food testing laboratories
- Human Resource & Institutions
A total of 1,132 projects for food processing have been approved in the 36 states/UTs with a total project cost of Rs 23,071.29 crores, to create a processing capacity of 252.297 lakh tpa, preservation capacity of 42.908 lakh tpa, employment of 6,02,070 persons and providing benefits to 38,19,220 farmers.
The details of physical targets proposed by the Ministry for the 15th Finance Commission Cycle period (2021 – 26) and achievements made as of date under various component schemes of PMKSY are given below.