Krishnapatanam Port is built with a 360-degree approach in accordance with the highest quality environment, health and safety (EHS) standards. It endeavours towards this focus was awarded at the 8th EHS Award organised by Confederation of Indian Industry – Southern Region on March 14, 2015, in Chennai, a company release said.
The award applauds Krishnapatnam’s aspirations to empower and enable safe work environment for employees and society as a whole. Krishnapatnam Port takes pride in achieving this award for its pathbreaking practices rather than benchmarking practices which motivates and facilitates other organisations to adopt such innovative measures under their EHS programmes.
Some of the best EHS practices followed at the port are:
- Creating a green belt that is 33 per cent more than the statutory requirement
- Adopting water harvesting and conservation measures
- Recycling of treated waste water for green belt and dust suppression
- Port is first in India to use Atomizers for efficient dust suppression and reduction in water usage
- Protection of existing mangroves and development of new mangrove areas
- Real time vehicle tracking systems for add-on safety
- Use of high powered vacuum sweeping machines for road cleaning purposes
This award saw a participation of more than 130 corporate organizations across the southern region of CII.
Krishnapatnam Port believes that its role in EHS management extends far beyond its own premises by encouraging the communities, societies and nearby industrial regions to adopt environment friendly and sustainable operation and processes. The port’s objective is to have a sustainable and inclusive development with the aim of becoming carbon positive and water positive by 2020.
Source: Krishnapatanam Port