Metro Lines

The Union Cabinet, under the leadership of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has granted approval for the development of Metro Connectivity from HUDA City Centre to Cyber City in Gurugram, along with a spur connection to Dwarka Expressway. This project will cover a distance of 28.50 km and will include 27 stations along the route.

The estimated cost of the project is Rs. 5,452 crore. The metro line will be built as a standard gauge line of 1435 mm (5 ft 8.5 inches) and will be entirely elevated. Additionally, a spur connection from Basai village has been included to provide connectivity to the depot.

The implementation of the project will be carried out by the Haryana Mass Rapid Transport Corporation Limited (HMRTC), which will be established as a 50:50 Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) jointly by the Government of India and the Government of Haryana. The project is expected to be completed within four years from the date of sanction.

The main objective of this metro line is to connect Old Gurugram with New Gurugram. Currently, there is no metro line in Old Gurugram, and this new network will provide essential connectivity to the area. It will also connect with the Indian Railway station and, in the next phase, will provide a link to the Indira Gandhi International (IGI) airport. Furthermore, the project is anticipated to drive overall economic development in the region.

The approved corridor details are as follows: the metro line will stretch from HUDA City Centre to Cyber City in Gurugram, covering a distance of 28.50 km and featuring 27 elevated stations.

In terms of financing, the proposed cost for the project is Rs. 5,452.72 crore, with the Government of India contributing Rs. 896.19 crore and the Government of Haryana providing Rs. 1,432.49 crore.

The implementing agency responsible for executing the project is the Haryana Mass Rapid Transport Corporation Ltd. (HMRTC). The Financial Internal Rate of Return (FIRR) for the project is currently being calculated.

The construction of the metro line will be carried out in two phases. The first phase is a loop between Sikandarpur and Cyber Hub, with a total route length of 5.1 km. Initially, this phase was constructed by a consortium consisting of DLF, IERS (IL&FS Enso Rail system), and ITNL (IL&FS Transport Network Limited). The second phase extends from Sikandarpur to Sector-56, covering a route length of 6.5 km. This phase was initially constructed by a consortium of ITNL and IRL (IL&FS Rail Limited). The operation of these phases was managed by the SPV entities Rapid Metro Gurgaon Limited and Rapid Metro Gurgaon South Limited, respectively. However, due to the concessionaire’s withdrawal from operating the system, the operation was transferred to the Haryana Mass Rapid Transit Company (HMRTC), which subsequently entrusted the operation to the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC).

The proposed metro line will have multi-modal connectivity with various transportation modes. It will be connected to the Railway Station near Sector-5 at a distance of 900 meters, the Rapid Rail Transit System (RRTS) at Sector-22, and the yellow line station at HUDA City Centre.

Regarding project preparedness, 90 percent of the required land is government-owned, while the remaining 10 percent is privately owned. The process of shifting utilities has already commenced, and efforts have been made to secure funding from international institutions such as the World Bank and the European Investment Bank. The tendering process for the General Contractor is currently underway.

Print pagePDF pageEmail page